Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Provo River 1/2 Marathon

Last Saturday (Aug. 8th) I ran my second half marathon. I beat my time! In the Salt Lake City 1/2 Marathon I ran 1:56:04 (Ave. 8:51 minute miles). For this Provo River Trail 1/2 Marathon I ran 1:53:31 (Ave. 8:39 minute miles). So I beat my time by about 2 1/2 minutes! I felt pretty good. Unfortunately the results page only list my time and not my place or how many people ran etc... O well.

I've decided to not continue to push for the Logan "Top Of Utah" marathon on September 19th. My legs are still recovering - I can still feel my shins and I think it's because most of the race was downhill. By the time my legs recover and I get back to training that's only 5 weeks to progress to at least one 18-20 mile run and then taper! I'm sad because I really wanted to run it. I've heard it is a beautiful run, and very well organized. But I don't want to injure myself.

There aren't any other marathons to train for in Utah for the rest of the year (besides the St. George.. which I'm pretty sure is filled up by now) so I'll have to wait until next year to conquer that marathon hurdle! I really have grown to love having a structured training plan and a goal to get ready for so I'm looking for a good 10K to train for. Training for a shorter distance race will be fun for a change because I'll be able to do more speed workouts. Also, the time-commitment for the longer distance training has been tough to do while working 40 hours a week. It's been tricky to try to do my long runs on Saturdays, for example, when I work 7am-5:30pm. It's doable.. but tough.

Anyway! So that's my news! Here are some pictures from the race!Running shaka's! Done!


The Card Family!
Amy, my running buddy! She injured her hip a few weeks before the race :(.

8 comments:

James Yvonne and Elise said...

Congratulations! That is awesome you beat your time, good work.

holo said...

Great job, Susan. I tweeted you results I found and the website. You were 28th of 128 in your age group, 260th of 1225 women overall, and 543rd of 1809 runners overall.

ClaysJenna said...

Way to go! You look great and that's awesome you beat your time!! And I love that Curt tweeted it...love it!

grandmasmith said...

Congratulations and thank you for being sensible. Much love!

Natalie said...

Wow! Good job! I'm running my first half tomorrow. I'm just including it as part of my training for my full - it's my long run of the week. I can't imagine doing a long run AND working all day on Saturdays. Especially running in the evening heat. You're dedicated!

Have you ever used Runner's World's Smart Coach to make a training plan? You could see if that gave you a viable option for doing the marathon... Good luck!

torri said...

Congratulations! I'm jealous of your running abilities, I really want to be a runner and really admire you!

Alexis Poelman said...

Congrats, Susan!! Good job beating your time, too, that's always such a nice feeling!

Alicia said...

Wow - way to go! That's awesome that you did it and that you beat your time! I wish we lived closer, because both of my 1/2 marathons I can't remember if I ran 1:56 or 1:51 right now, but anyway, it sounds like we are exactly the same pace! Too bad, that would be fun!!

I also wanted to run the Top of Utah and injured myself about 1/3 of the way into the training. It was disappointing. If you end up running it next year I'll be excited to hear what you think of it!

Happy Anniversary, too, by the way. You guys are such a cute couple.