Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, April 20, 2009

Long Distances

Ok, so this weekend I had four long distance experiences. Here they are in chronological order: 1. I had a "long distance" night of no sleep, 2. I ran a long distance (13.1 mile) race, 2. Clayton and I traveled a long distance to and from Las Vegas, and 3. We did some "long distance" eating!

1. Long Distance Night: I couldn't find anyone to switch shifts for me on Friday night so I could get a good night's sleep before the race. So I worked until 11pm, was in bed by 11:30, didn't really sleep because I was nervous, got out of bed to get ready to drive to Salt Lake City for the race at 4:15am. But my mom reminded me when she called me at 11 to wish me good luck that my best races in high-school used to be when I was tired.

2. Long Distance Race: I traveled up with my friend Jen (who ran the marathon, great job!). We were glad we left when we did at 4:45am because the TRAX ride up to the start line from the gateway mall parking garage took quite a while. We got off the train, pinned on our bibs, then got in line for the porto-potties! I did a google search to see if anyone had taken a picture of the huge amount of porto-potties and I only found this one which is from another race, but you get the idea! Imagine 100 people in each line for every two porto-potties! When we got to so there were about 6 people before us in line they announced they would be starting the race in 30 seconds. But, when you gotta go you gotta go! I didn't want to have to go during the race, so the gun went off and we were still in line! Luckily, they calculate your time from when your chip on your shoe crosses the start. I crossed almost 7 minutes after the gun. Here's how I did:

My overall place out of 4,125 runners: 1,163rd
My place out of 2,544 women: 453rd
My place out of 349 women ages 19-24: 61st
My time: 1 hour 56 minutes and 4 seconds (Ave. 8:51 minute miles)

I feel pretty good about how I did for my first long distance race! After the 9th miles I felt my calves tense up, but not too bad. I slowed a total of 4 times! Twice for water, once for Gatorade - It's hard to run and drink without spilling all over yourself! - and once to kiss Clayton on the sideline! It was so nice because Rachel, Andrew, Kaili, & Clayton were all there to cheer me on! Boy it made a difference to see them during the race!

Here are two FAQs: 1. Will you do it again? Um.. ya, I think I would do it again. It was fun! I think I might try a 10K next if I can find one. Don't think I can do a marathon, but maybe if Clayton trains with me :-p ! 2. What do you think about when you run? I don't like to listen to music when I run I decided because I like to hear the people running around me and the spectators. I like watching other people run, look at what they're wearing. I also tried to find someone with the same blue shoes as me! I found one girl, but it was after the race I saw her!
For some funny pictures of me from the photographers on the course click here! (click buy then click thumbnail to view larger)

3. Long Distance Traveling: After the race we came home, I showered, and we packed and left to surprise Clayton's dad Rob in Las Vegas! Rob's birthday was on Friday, so we decided to surprise him! The drive wasn't bad at all! We sang along to The Phantom Of The Opera and that helped pass time, :).

4. Long Distance EATING: In Vegas we did some serious eating. We went to Margaritaville when we got in to Vegas for dinner. We got the nachos to share, and it was HUGE but delicious. Then I got some coconut shrimp which I was only able to eat a little of because I was so full! It was really really good, though. Sunday after sacrament we went to have lunch at the Carnagie Deli in the Mirage. Wow, I mean talk about meat! Ryan: find a Carnagie Deli in NY and order The Woody Allen! This is what Clayton ordered and he could barely make a dent it was so huge! I said we should see if Ryan could do it, haha. Even though we were all so full and not one of us finished our sandwiches, we just had to order a slice of their famous cheesecake. Boy did we stuff ourselves! Then, later that night on the road Clayton and I had to stop and get In-N-Out since we'd been looking forward to it. Thanks Rob for the wonderful weekend!

Well, this has turned out to be a long distance post! Enjoy these pictures:

8 comments:

Chelsea said...

cute post!!! You are awesome, I am so proud of you. I want you to get me motivated to do one sometime. man that was a quick trip to Las Vegas! Glad you had fun. Oh and also, can Clayton come sing Phantom with me somtime!!

pamelasue said...

Cute post! Congratulations on the 1/2 marathon! That is so great and your time is amazing. Nice. Loved the pictures (and I have been known to drive all the way to Las Vegas just to go to In&Out:) Now there is one in St. George so I can shave a couple hours off! Anyway, great post.

Ryan said...

Clayton, sad to hear you only made a dent in the "Woody Allen" at the Carsnastie Deli. Maybe you should stick to the Bonzeritaville Menu. :)

holo said...

Hey Susan. Congrats on a great first distance race. And the drive, food, etc. I am amazed you ran it in long pants!

Ciara said...

Sounds like you guys had a great weekend! Congrats on the half-marathon!! That is so awesome!

Natalie said...

Congrats! You did an AWESOME job! What a great time! I'm inspired for my next run! :)

Jen said...

Congratulations! Sounds like you had a fun/busy weekend. I am impressed.

TheGleeds said...

Great job Suz! How we miss Vegas :( What did you guys do there?