I used to toy around with a camera when I was in middle school and high school. I took beginning and advanced photography in high school and loved it but it was all with film. Somehow, as the world of photography changed to digital I be became intimidated and scared. I didn't know how to get the same kinds of pictures on a digital camera as I could with my Cannon Rebel 2000. Plus, a really nice digital camera would cost thousands of dollars. So I stopped short on this childhood dream, but someday I hope to take photography classes and pick it up again.
Here is one of my first "good" pictures from when I was younger (14?) (pre-photography class). It also was the only one I could find digitally since they are all home in storage in Hawaii. I had scanned this one into the computer, probably to enter in a contest years ago... about the time I realized that I could never win unless it was digital. Most of my photos were of flowers and plants in our beautiful backyard in Kona. I also took a lot of pictures of the kids I would baby sit and my cat Cheerio! Fun stuff!
Maybe it's the use of one finger to zoom rather than the hand that bothers me, or the lack of that 'click' as the film moves forward you used to get with traditional cameras. Or maybe it's because with film every picture has to count, so I try harder. Or maybe it's this fear that in order to get any kind of good picture I would need to have the best camera out there - which in a few months will no longer be the best. I did just get a really nice camera from my parents that takes really great pictures, but I've still been hesitant to really explore it's potential. Anyone have any tips on how to rid myself of my fear of digital photography? I mean, even the picture at the top of my blog which I think is pretty good is with film! Why is it that I think I can only get a good picture with that trusty old Rebel 2000 camera? Sheesh, what's my problem?! Anyone had similar experiences?
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Childhood Dream
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
It is definitely a transition, digital scared me too at first. I would recommend the book, 'Understanding Exposure' (I think it's by someone Peterson), and the digital photography books by Scott Kelby. Kelby's just give helpful tips and techniques for different situations, and the Exposure one is fun to experiment with your camera and learn about the settings and what they do. Good luck!
I agree! The switch was tough for me too. I think using manual cameras is an art form (but sometimes a very expensive one), and it's not bad to still go the old school way. Don't feel pressured to join the digital world! And I just had to say: I used the rebel 2000 in high school for newspaper. It's an awesome camera. I can see why you want to stick with it. :)
I know what you mean about switching to digital. I would love to get more into photography too but it just doesnt make since to me right now. I love my little cheap digital camera, but I agree, the fancy cameras are just too expensive. I cant afford a super nice camera, nor do I want to spend hundreds od dollars on something that will soon be out of date. have you thought about borrowing someone elses digital camera before buying your own? That way you can play around with it a bit before spending hundreds of dollars on it yourself.
I recently subscribed to Digital Photography School http://digital-photography-school.com/ and they have tutorials for digital cameras, weekly tips emailed to you, and weekly assignments, all for free! I also keep a portfolio at Betterphoto.com, and you can upload photos to their contests and get feedback. The editors pick their choices, and it does not matter what kind of camera you have.
Susan, I don't think there is anything wrong with film photography. In fact, I came across a really cool blog the other day that was all about professional photographers who shoot with film, not digital, cameras. It was really cool, and I'll have to find the link again and send it to you.
By the way, the picture you posted is amazing! I love the way the light hits the flower...gorgeous!
Post a Comment