I had such a funny experience today I had to share it, even though it is a little embarrassing. Ok, so Clayton and I are heading to California this weekend for his best friend from high school's wedding. We decided we wanted to look our best (especially since he's in the wedding as one of the groomsmen). Both of us are getting hair cuts Thursday (me a trim and roots touch-up mostly) and I decided to get a spray tan to get rid of this Utah winter skin. I've been pretty nervous about it because I have never done it before. I watched this video earlier today to prepare myself. At Waikiki Beach Tanning Salon I asked the girls at the front desk a long list of questions before deciding to get my Mystic Tan today. I figured by doing it today (instead of later in the week) if I need more color I can do it again Thursday, but if I don't like it it will fade a little by the weekend (I mean I've really thought this out, haha). A nice girl shows me the booth and gives me all the instructions - exactly as was on the video I watched, minus the nose plug, booties, and motion sensor switches. She says I can turn this knob to yes or to no for the added bronzer. I had already decided not to add the bronzer since it's temporary and washes off after the first shower anyway. Ok, so I get all ready with the lotion on my hands and feet and a little on my elbows.. step in, realize how cold the floor is, place my feet on the plate hesitantly, realize the button to press is 4 feet in front of me, step forward to press it and hurry back to my position. Wait for it, wait for it, SSSHHHWWW I mean that spraying sound was so loud and startling! With my adrenaline up, the SSHHWW-ing loud, and mist swirling around me filling the entire box, I realize while I'm holding my arms out fingers out in the perfect sunless-tan-expert position that 1. I didn't turn off the bronzer (o well I think) and 2. that I forgot to put on my hair net (Shoot!)!! Did I mention it was dark and eerie as well in there? Like a dark dripping shower stall in an old high-school locker room. I take a split second to decide what to do, not knowing if the spray would turn my hair dark brown, I leave the box, arms still out, quickly put on the cap, careful to expose my hairline, then hurry back in. Oh man, I don't know.. maybe you had to be there but my first experience with Mystic Tan was quite humorous. I walked out of there laughing, told my story to the girls, and left feeling too amazed at how awesomely unexpected that experience was to feel embarrassed. I thought I was so prepared! One sad thing, though, I asked if it would be ok if I worked out and they said not to because if I were to sweat it would streak the tan. Shoot.. I should have googled that question first! Oh, and if you were curious, right when I got home I looked it up and the product that was sprayed on me will not penetrate the hair follicles. Whew!
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
My First Spray Tan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Haha. You are brave! I definitely would have freaked out about spray-tanning my hair!
So I am curious, how does the tan look? Are you happy with the color? I have looked into spray tan but have never dared try it.
Sounds like it was a pretty funny experience.
Well.. it was kind of freaky because it got darker and darker towards the end of the night and then was pretty dark when I woke up this morning. I felt like I looked weird but Clayton said it looked good and I think maybe it's because it's just different. But it doesn't look orange or unnatural at all. I guess it makes my skin cells react just as they would to UV rays so that's why it can work for everyone.. the only thing I was a little unhappy with is that my face seems a little unnatural because it's all one flat color. but I showered this morning and washed my face good and it looks better. Plus, I'll use make-up.
Here's a link to a photo of Susan's spray on tan. http://www.afunnystuff.com/pictures/Funny-pictures/A-Minor-Sunburn.html
That is hilarious! grandma recounted the story to me today and I had to check your blog...
Oh Susan, you make me laugh!
Susan, this story is awesome and made my day. I'm glad it ended up looking well. Uncle Curt, you make me laugh with every comment!
Post a Comment