Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, October 19, 2008

A Funny Story

I decorated our home for fall/Halloween the other day. I took some pictures and decided to share them. Looking at the pictures reminded me of a very funny story that I know some of you have heard before.

Ok, so a few years ago I was in the BYU Bookstore and was drawn in by the cute little decorations area of their store with candles, figurines, and all kinds of fun stuff. I must have spent an hour looking at all the adorable Halloween creatures. Somehow, among all that Halloween decor, I realized Halloween was tomorrow, and that we had absolutely no decorations up or anything in our little apartment at Foxwood. I decided that was just unacceptable. I bought a cotton spider-web kit, a pumpkin candy dish, a witch figurine, a black cat candle holder, a black spider figurine, and a battery powered pumpkin that turned on and started 'walking' forward at loud noises (you had to scream or clap to make it go). I felt pretty good about my purchases. I even had the items individually gift wrapped for the heck of it since it's free gift wrapping. Got home, started decorating up a storm. I gave each of my roommates a gift to open. When Stacey got home, I ignored the confused look on her face. I remember standing on the arm of the couch to reach the top corner to put up the spider-webs there and looking down at my roommates. No one could understand my enthusiasm. I tried to make them understand why I was decorating and said, "well, it is Halloween tomorrow...!" (I said it like we had all forgotten somehow and it was my job to inform them). The understanding set into my roommate's faces and they began to smile and I realized something was wrong. It was SEPTEMBER 30th. Not even October yet! Man, I felt sooo embarrassed! They all said they thought it was a little early to decorate but that they just thought I really loved Halloween or something. I looked around at the other apartments facing the complex. No pumpkins. No decorations. Nothing. Haha! I blame it all on the BYU bookstore for CONVINCING me that it was time to decorate!







2 comments:

Becky said...

RAHAHAHA!! Susan, you are really funny. I always say the sooner the better for holiday decor. Dont tell anyone but I start listening to Christmas music on halloween. :)
XX Any dental updates? We are anxious for you guys!

holo said...

This is the Provo-Orem fire inspector. Candles are flammable material and according to code section AB123 you must not hide them under a bushel.